Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Truly Wistful Summer

“Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.” 
― John LubbockThe Use Of Life

Hydrangea tree

Seemed but yesterday we were trying to till the garden between the Spring rains. We planted the seeds and seemed like a long time before it progressed. Its rather relaxing after the hard work of tilling and planting - to let the garden sit while nature does it's thing. 
Now we get in there and have to weed, which is a job I actually enjoy. I don't use a hoe, it's pointless when the weeds are right around the plant. It's safer to pull them by hand. So I get on my hands and knees and crawl along. But it's really a wonderful thing, the smell of the dirt, the smell of green beans, etc...

Summer is moving right along whether we keep up with it or not. It doesn't wait for us. The green beans are flowering. 
The carrots are growing bigger each day.
The blueberries are turning.
And the roses are blooming.

As I crawl along the dirt path of the garden plucking weeds away from my tender plants my mind travels all over the place. I hear the sounds of childish squeals as the kids pull each other in a reckless manner in the red Flyer wagon. I hear the crow of a nearby rooster. The warmth of the sun is on my back. Often I breathe a prayer of thanksgiving that God allows me to be a part of his awesome world. Amid-st a society that is full of sin, sin that brings sorrow, sadness, and turmoil. As a Christian, I live outside of such things because I choose Jesus. Allowing me to enjoy a wistful summer. 

You might be thinking - HUH, a wistful summer? That is child talk. It
It's a sad and miserable person who thinks that. A person who has allowed themselves to be weighted down with too many cares. Why not give them to the "burden bearer" and learn to love life. It will keep you feeling young, in your soul at least :-)

This was nothing but an empty dirt bed when we loved here. It is full of rich, black soil. So we turned it into a rose garden. Since it's just getting started the plants are small. But they are doing really well here.
A pink rose that has a slight tinge of yellow.
Deep orange. Picture doesn't do it justice.
Large pink. These smell SO good!

Cheerful sunflowers greet us at the back door. Many people can't stand summer due to the heat. As far as I'm concerned there is no more delightful season with all its different and colorful flowers. Lush green grass. Trees are dressed in their greenery creating much privacy from a neighbor's view. No need to put on a coat before stepping outside. Flip-flops are the preferred footwear. Such freedom!

A friend of mine who lives in the great state of Wyoming sells doTerra essential oils. this is not a paid ad and she didn't ask me to do this. She's been telling me about Terrashield . You put it on your wrists and ankles and the pest of summer mosquitoes, etc won't bother you. So I made an order because the skitters are terrible around here. It arrived the other day. This morning was our 1st opportunity to test this product. For the 1st time we were able to sit around the campfire and not have one pest bother us. I highly recommend this product. It can be ordered directly from her website mydoterra.com/lifelongoils Very fast and efficient service.

A summer is never complete unless you are grilling up yummy food. Like these foil dinners
Note: take them off grill as soon as the meat is finished cooking. They burn fast :-P

My most favorite thing about summer and it's truly wistful, and that is the little dates Mr. Z and I can have in the quietness of our backyard. Preferably near the garden. :-)

I hope your summer is going well! I know some of you are moving, some are going through hard times that seem out of your control. I encourage you to look for opportunities to enjoy a small moment at least once a week. One does not have to go away on fancy vacations to have a great summer. That is such a myth! Summer is wasted if that's our mindset. 

My boys are enjoying having a friend over most everyday. They ride their bikes to the creek to catch crawdads and do a little swimming.  Fishing trips to the lake with Mr.Z. They enjoyed 3.5 days of youth camp. Truly, they will look back on this summer with the fondest of memories. 

Have a blissful day!!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I enjoy hearing from each of you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...